At 27 weeks we went in to get another ultrasound done. At our 20 week ultrasound, the doctor came in afterwards and said that she "had something she wanted to tell us, but wanted us to forget it as soon as she walked out of the room." Well, easier said then done with that one! Basically she said that the ultrasound picked up some cysts in the baby's brain (I think she called them cyborgs, but Chris says those are robots so who knows what the medical term is for them!). However, she said that it is really common for ultrasounds to see those these days because they can see so much more detail, and usually they don't even tell the parents because these go away by themselves. Occasionally it is associated with another disorder, but since everything else for baby girl was measuring normally the doctor did not think she had that particular disorder.
When I went in to meet with my doctor a couple of weeks after this ultrasound, I asked her about it and she repeated what the other doctor had said about these being completely normal and seeing them quite often on sonograms. Chris wasn't worried about them at all, and I wasn't too worried - but was glad when my doctor suggested that we have another ultrasound done just to check that things were OK and the cysts hadn't gotten any bigger. Great news though, at the 27 week ultrasound the cysts were completely gone and there was no sign of them!! Yayyy!!!
Here's a couple of pictures of baby girl's profile....
I was actually kind of hoping that we could get a 3D picture done and get a better picture of her; however, she is once again proving just how stubborn she is and decided to keep her face hidden in my placenta the whole time so we weren't able to see her in 3D. Guess we will just have to wait another couple of months to find out what she looks like!
Here is our 'lil Heathbar's first footprint!! :)
Some other noteworthy news from our appointment.... She had the hiccups during the ultrasound so it was really funny to watch her on the screen this time because you could definitely tell every time she hiccuped! Also, we had the doctor confirm that she is still indeed a she, and she is! Good thing too ... otherwise a baby boy would be coming home to lots of dresses and a very pink nursery! :)
They were able to determine her size at the ultrasound and she is already 2 pounds, 3 ounces!! The app I have on my phone says that baby should be 2 pounds at 27 weeks, so since this was a couple of days before I was actually at the 27 week mark I am thinking that we may have a big baby on our hands!! For those of you who don't know, while Chris was a normal sized baby - measuring in somewhere around 7 pounds, I was a super ginormous baby - 10 pounds, 6 ounces!! (Sorry mom!!) I didn't even fit into newborn size clothing (which is generally for babies up to 8 pounds), so we have been sure not to invest in any clothing in that size for baby girl, just in case she takes after her mom (which it is looking like she is on track to do!)
Just to prove this point, take a look at newborn baby Chris....
...and compare that to newborn baby Ellie, who come out with chins and rolls (it's no wonder that my mom stopped having kids after me!)
Small or big, we are going to love this little girl no matter what size she is!! We are just so excited to get to meet her!! Only a few more months to go!
-Ellie





No comments:
Post a Comment